Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The End of Media Guides????


Northwestern media guides from recent seasons


Michigan and Ohio State have said they no longer plan to print media guides. Their reasoning has to do with the large amount of money lose each year printing the giant books and giving away far more than they sell. Logically this makes a great deal of sense, but I have say as a fan I hope this doesn’t become a trend. I really enjoy getting a chance to read the media guides NU prints each year. Now admittedly they do become somewhat obsolete as soon as the year ends as various records are broken and players graduate. Still, they are nice memento to keep on hand. As you can see in the picture above, I have several media guides easily accessible and several more which are boxed away elsewhere. If teams go to only on-line guides I’ll be disappointed as sometimes the media guide is the best way to remember a season. They summaries from the year before are great at helping remember games. Also, I really enjoy the first few pages of the media guide which helps set up the upcoming year and tells a little bit about Northwestern as a school and gameday at Ryan Field or Welsh-Ryan Arena. Hopefully, if media guides do disappear this information will still have some method of getting to recruits as I’m sure it is a nice bit of knowledge for kids with little background on NU.

No comments: