Thursday, February 21, 2013

What Now?

I don’t know. I’m really at a loss as to what to say about Northwestern basketball at this point. The team has lost their last two games in spectacularly bad fashion. Even worse it’s hard to imagine them competing against any team left on their schedule based on how they played in those two games. Even Penn State looks stronger than Northwestern at this point. The quick reaction people turn to is to fire the coach, but I think that window closed. I advocated firing Carmody in the past, but really I don’t think it’s fair to do so now and I think he’s earned the right to stay. After all even with the last two games he’s got NU at 13-14 overall. While not great that record is probably an accomplishment considering the team he has on the court.


I can’t figure out an answer as to what to do in order to get the team to win games. I don’t think its coaching at this point. The team that has played the last two games looked hopeless, but I find it hard to believe the coach told them to play that way. I guess we can blame the coach for not motivating his team, but if you’re a college athlete you should have some level of self-motivation. You couldn’t have reached that level without it. So while I guess you have to fault the coach a little bit, I think the players have to look in the mirror to truly see the source of the problem.

I also maintain the silence from NU’s administration when it comes to basketball doesn’t help, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to change at any point in the near future. It’s frustrating and it is starting to take a toll on the fans. I have to be honest while I’ll still watch every game I’m running out of ideas of what to type here without repeating myself. I also wonder if anyone outside a few diehards really care about NU basketball. My guess is they don’t.

No comments: